Smooth and Rhythm
Teacher Training Program
With Diane Jarmolow | Oakland, California
There is NO substitute for being properly trained and educated in the realm of teaching ballroom dance. With our Ballroom Teacher Training Program you CAN begin a career you will love for the rest of your life!
Who Is This Program For
These Courses are for anyone with the desire to make teaching dance their career and/or for those who want to improve their dancing by learning both roles in a structured environment.
- Make a shift from your current career
- A young adult who knows ballroom dance is their career
- Retiree who wants to spend their new-found free time teaching dance
- Start a second career in ballroom dancing
- Dance teachers who want to become certified and fill in the gaps of their knowledge
What Is the Program
We have TWO Courses available, each are 6 weeks long and include 111 hours of training. These Courses cover all of the material necessary for taking a Professional DVIDA Certification exam. Completion of ProDVIDA certification of Associate Smooth and/or Rhythm qualifies you to be listed as a “Certified Dance Teacher” with NDCA (National Dance Council of America). For those who are interested, Professional Certification will be available during or after the Course.
RHYTHM: July 9 – Aug 17, 2018
Full Bronze Syllabus for Rumba, Cha Cha, Bolero, East Coast Swing and Mambo
SMOOTH: Aug 27 – Oct 5, 2018
Full Bronze Syllabus for Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango and Viennese Waltz
What You Will Learn
Our comprehensive Teacher Training program, based on the Internationally-recognized DVIDA® American-Style Syllabus, incorporates the 3 essential aspects of teaching dance.
1. Syllabus Training
- Comprehensive knowledge of all figure patterns as both Leader and Follower
- A precise, detailed and universal “language” for teaching
- Musicality, history and technical aspects for each dance
- Posture, frame, footwork, movement, timing
- Regular homework assignments and in-class presentations
- Development of teaching and presentation skills
- Exams (dance & theory) and written tests
- Optional Professional DVIDA® Certification (additional fees apply)
2. Body Mechanics (Move Like a Champion)
- Create exceptional dance posture and poise
- Learn specific, anatomical actions to produce beautiful dancing
- Acquire the knowledge and tools to help your students improve their posture, arm styling, foot action, balance and expression
3. Interpersonal Skills (Salesfree Sales)
- Customer-focused, principle-based and high-integrity system
- Learn how to create long-term relationships so that “sales” happen naturally
- Tools to create constant success in all relationships
During the Course, private lessons with Diane Jarmolow are available to those who need help with the coursework, want to explore other dances and/or prepare for certification. These lessons can also be shared with another trainee for additional savings.
Schedule and Location
We have designed this program at the perfect pace so there is sufficient time to absorb and learn the material. There will be plenty of individual attention, sufficient practice time and personal time.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday | 9am-2pm (1 hour lunch)
No class on Wednesday. Afternoons, evenings and weekends are reserved for studying, practicing and time off. Classes are held in our private studio in Oakland, California.
Salesfree Sales: Tuesdays, 3-5:30pm
Note: There is a one-week break in between the Rhythm and Smooth Courses which can be be used to visit family, explore the Bay Area or prepare for Certification exams.
This Course is focused on Teacher Training, wherein you will learn both the Leader and Follower roles in great detail as if preparing for Professional Certification. Dance experience is not required but the Course will be far more effective if you have experience with all the figures in at least one role.
Upon registration we will provide a variety of study assignments that we ask you to complete prior to the first day of class.
- Teach Like a Pro
- Bronze DVIDA Smooth Syllabus Manual
- Bronze DVIDA Rhythm Syllabus Manual
- DVIDA Smooth and Rhythm Videos – available via DVD (while supplies last), online streaming and/or App
Tuition and Payment Plans
$1,995 for 1 Course (Rhythm or Smooth)
$3,495 for 2 Courses (Rhythm and Smooth) – save $395!
DEPOSIT: A $195 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your spot ($395 for both Courses). Class is limited to 10 people so early registration is recommended. (Minimum of 5 required to run the Course)
Payment Options For 1 Course
- Full Payment: $1,995
- 3-Month Plan: $795 down payment*, then $700/month for 2 months
- 4-Month Plan: $645 down payment*, then $450/month for 3 months
Payment Options For 2 Courses
- Full Payment: $3,495
- 3 Month Plan: $1695 down payment*, then $900/month for 2 months
- 4 Month Plan: $1495 down payment*, then $700/month for 3 months
*Down payments include the non-refundable deposit. Full payment is due no later than 1 month prior to the first day of class. If we do not receive your payment on/before that date, we reserve the right to cancel your reservation without notice.
If you’ve paid your balance (partial or full) and cancel your reservation on/before one month prior to the event, we can convert your payment, less the $195 non-refundable deposit (or $395 for both Courses), to a non-refundable credit that can be applied toward any future Teacher Training Course, T-for-Two workshop or Private Lessons for up to one full year.
If you’ve paid your balance (partial or full) and cancel your reservation less than one month prior to the event, we will retain $100 cancellation fee (in addition to the non-refundable deposit) and convert the remaining of the total paid to a non-refundable credit that you can apply toward any future Teacher Training Course, T-for-Two workshop or Private Lessons for up to one full year.
Housing and Transportation
There are numerous inexpensive housing options through Airbnb – search within the 94619 zip code. Public transportation is easily accessible. The nearest bus stop (which connects to the BART public transit) is at Merritt College (a 5 minute walk from our studio). As students register, we can connect those who are interested in sharing housing and/or transportation.